For International Women in Engineering Day this year, we took a look at some of the incredible women in Scottish engineering, past and present.
Dorothy Donaldson Buchanan
Born: Langholm, Dumfriesshire, 1899
- First female chartered Civil Engineer, 1927 and only member amongst 9,979 men.
- Part of the design staff for Sydney Harbour Bridge, Tyne Bridge, Lambeth Bridge.
- Gave lecture on bridge construction, 1929
Anne Gillespie Shaw
Born: Uddingston, 1904
- Chief Motion-Study Investigator Advisor to Ministry of Aircraft Production, 1942
- Organised national exhibition to demonstrate her motion study methods, 1945
- Masters in Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
- Current Director of Manufacturing at Aggreko
- First female Scottish Engineering President in 150-year history, 2022
- Trained at Arrol-Johnston car works in Paisley
- Director of Galloway Engineering
- Designed first ever car specifically for women
- Only woman on government committee formed to recruit women into factories
- Senior Design Manager and Product Lead at Lego Group,
- 2012 Lego Masters TV judge - known as "Brickmaster"
- Part of concept team for Lego Movie
- Worked with NGO in Botswana to create sustainable projects and 'Engineers Without Borders' to help coffee growers produce own crops.
Born: Megginch Castle, Perthshire, 1894
- Only woman in company of 3000 men at Caledon Shipworks.
- First female Chief Engineer in Merchant Navy.
- First female member of Institute of Marine Engineers. Earned Lloyd's Medal for Bravery at Sea.
Margaret, Lady Moir
Born: Edinburgh, 1864
Lathe Operator in WWI.
- Organised the Women Relief Munition Workers.
- One of the founders of Women's Engineering Society, 1919.
- President of Electrical Association for Women.
Want to find out more?
Are you in Scotland’s Engineering & Manufacturing sectors and hiring for your team?
Get in touch with Escape’s Engineering recruiters: email@example.com | 01506 461445
Or are ready to take the next step in your career?